Project X (2012) - Originally Written July 14, 2012
Watching the Movie:
I honestly don't know how I feel about this movie. The 32-yeard-old stick in the mud really wants to believe that images like these are why the rest of the world hates U.S. However, the social media whore in me really wants to feel like reviewing this movie is kind of like critiquing a unicorn. . . how are you supposed to feel one way or the other about something you are amazed actually exists?
Screening the Film:
Friendship, loyalty, duty, obligation. "Kids in America" imagery (not to be confused with "teen movie" imagery, as almost NONE of the other public norms such as school, prom, sports etc. really apply). Nihilism, relativism, ends justify the means, the individual as a member of society, mob rule vs polite society. Screw it, "Project X" is a social scientists wet dream, especially from a cultural studies point of view.
Best Dialogue:
"The next time your pool guy comes by for a clean, he's gonna say, "Excuse me Mr. Kub, but I think I may have found some water in your semen."
The Bottom Line:
2000 years from now, when the sentient beings that replace humanity search the archives and instantly download the data that is the equivalent to having watched "Project X", it will very much be like the way most modern Americans would consider the Ancient Romans feeding Christians to the Lions. When you get right down to it; I've only felt like this after one other movie and it just so happens to be one I screened not too long ago; "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" (2011) I'm amazed by the 2 hours of my life I gave to the film, I'm perplexed and amazed by what I saw; I'm unsure of what I experienced watching it, but I know I was not entertained.
2 out of 5.
2 out of 5.
Special Bonus review:
I found this on IMDB's page for the film, and I found it so perfect I wanted to share it. The reviewer's name is Henry Feltham and he says he's from New Zealand. . .
"I'm still trying to figure out why this film left such a weird taste in my mouth. It's odd, coming out of a film and having NOTHING to say about it. Possibly, it's because almost nothing happens. They throw a party. It goes bananas. Stuff gets set on fire. Nothing you can't divine from the trailer.
It took me a while to realize why. There was a gaping whole at the center of this film. The message - nothing really matters, everyone should do whatever it takes to be cool, skinny, popular, etc. And there are no consequences. Self-destruction presented as empowerment.
This is nothing new, and I'm too young to be seriously offended by this sentiment, but Project X takes it to a higher pitch than ever before. It's like watching a stream of Facebook threads, links and comments fly past for 90 minutes. Intercut with whoops and heavy bass-lines. It doesn't feel like a music video. It is a music video. And about as satisfying.
It's made in the image of John Hughes films, updated for the Ritalin generation, but it moves too fast. I found myself wanting to say 'How about that scene where ... ' but realized that there were no scenes I found funny enough to bother recounting.
I know how this all sounds. Like a hater. But it's not. I just didn't care. There was nothing to care about. Nothing I hadn't seen in a dozen music videos a dozen times, but now, with a couple of fat kids thrown in. The only thing that leaves me wincing is the overtness of the film's nihilism. Screw everything. And everyone. This is the image of themselves these Socal kids are getting presented with. If it plays well at the box office - which it will, and nothing I can say will change that - it's the kind of thing we'll see more of.
And more of.
And more of.
The same thing.
Over. And over. Again."
Comments
Post a Comment